Saturday, May 31, 2008

Canadians *are* American!



My mind has just been blown! Today I was talking to a guy from El Salvidor and he said something to the affect of "I am American, South American, but still" and just now it occurred to me Canadians and Mexicans and Colombians and Brazilians and Venezuelans and so on are *all* American. So if this is the case, why do we take the name so strongly as our own here in the *United States* of America? We are a union of states in the American continent along with dozens of other sovereign nations. So if this is the case when someone asks you what country you are from, America is not a legitimate answer. America is not a country, it is a continent. And on that continent are 48 states that chose to join together a form a federation. I haven't thought this all the way through yet, and I am sure I can go look up some information about it before making some grand gesture. Hmmm.....

No comments: