Sunday, March 30, 2008

Jericho


What happens when 23 US cities are wiped off the map in a strategic nuclear attack on the United States of America? Well if you'd like to know the answer to that Jericho Seasons 1 and 2 would be a compelling and realistic way of finding out. From the very beginning I knew this show was going to be something special. The first season began with a mushroom cloud and ended with a war between neighboring towns. Everything in between was just as exciting plot wise, which was only the back drop for the emotional character development. After the first season CBS canceled the fledgling series, but after mass fan campaigning they decided to bring it back for another chance. The second season just ended this week, revealing that the US has split up, the Mississippi being the border for the Allied States of America and the good old US, not to mention the wild card The Independent Republic of Texas. The 7 episodes revealed much about who attached the US and why and ended with the declaration of a second American Civil War.
Can you believe it?! Can you? This show was incredible, but once again has been canceled. There is a very very slight possibility of it being picked up on Sci Fi, but I wouldn't hold my breath. This show captivated me and about 7 million other people weekly with a version of reality that isn't quite Science Fiction and isn't quite Real Life but something in between. Just like Invasion which was canceled in the 2006 season by ABC, this show will hold a place in my heart for years to come. I will be able to go back and watch it in it's entirety and still feel the same way I felt the first time viewing it. I just wish that I had the chance to see new episode come next Fall, see what happens with the US and the Allied States going to war, but unless another miracle happens I doubt I will be able to see that. R.I.P. Jericho.

No comments: